Can I claim if I do not work for the council anymore?

Quite possibly yes. We would be interested to hear from you if you left employment less than 6 years ago.


Can I claim if I have made previous claims?

Yes, but you cannot claim twice for the same period. If you are unsure, please call us to discuss.


Can I claim if I am a man?

Although equal pay claims are about gender bias and most bias is against women, it is still possible for a man to bring a claim in certain circumstances. If you are unsure, please call us to discuss.


Can I claim if I have been made redundant?

Yes, as long as your redundancy was less than 6 years ago. We ask that you send us a copy of any redundancy agreement


Can I claim if I am retired?

Yes, as long as you retired less than 6 years ago.


Can I claim if I am still employed but on long term sick leave?

Generally yes. We will advise you on your individual case once you have provided us with the relevant information.


I am not allowed to talk about my previous claims because of a confidentiality clause in my settlement agreement. Am I in breach of that agreement if I talk to you about previous settlement terms?

We are a firm of solicitors authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. You are entitled to take legal advice from a solicitor on your previous settlement agreements, even if the agreement contains a confidentiality clause. When we ask you for a copy of your previous settlement agreement, it is for the purposes of giving you legal advice.  If you are still concerned, please phone us to discuss the matter.


Is the claim on a "no win no fee" basis? How much am I charged if I do win?

There is no charge for requesting a claims pack, if we later advise you that you do not have a valid claim.


If we determine that you have a valid claim, we will take your claim on a no win no fee basis. We will send you detailed information about how much and in what circumstances we will charge you for our work. It is important that you understand how it works.


When will I get my money?

Court cases can take a long time. It could take up to 2 years, sometimes longer.


If my colleagues win their cases, does that not mean everyone will get a pay out?

You will only be awarded compensation if you make a claim. Your employer is not under a duty to pay you any compensation, unless you make a claim.


I am worried that I will be treated badly if my employer finds out I am making a claim.

It is your right to seek legal protection where you think your employer has done something wrong by not paying you fairly. If an employer finds out and treats you badly because you brought a claim for equal pay you have a number of options - try and resolve matters informally by seeking help from other managers, raise a grievance or in serious cases bring further legal claims, for victimisation and or harassment.


Should I claim through my union?

You should get as much information as you can about the different options open to you, so that you can make an informed decision.  You should ask your union if there are any cut off dates or periods of your employment for which the union will not make a claim on your behalf.

If your question is not answered above,
please email us here.

Nothing in these FAQs or in the answers constitutes legal advice and you should always raise issues of particular concern with us directly. After you have made initial contact with us, we will send you a claim pack. That pack contains a lot of information about how we operate, what the next steps are and how the "no win no fee" agreement works. It is important that you read all of that information very carefully. If you have any questions which are not covered by that information or on this website, please call us to discuss.



Speak to one of our expert advisors today by calling 0800 044 3820 or fill out the form to the right to get in contact with us.

Submitting Form...

The server encountered an error.

Form received.

“Equal Pay Legal Limited is a limited company registered in England and Wales  (registered number 8310241) (“firm”, “we”, “our” or “us”) with registered office Trigen House, Central Boulevard, Blythe Valley Park, Solihull, B90 8AB , UK.  Equal Pay Legal Limited is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (Reg No: 592181).  Any reference on this website to the term ‘partner’ in connection to Equal Pay Legal Limited is a reference to a Director and/or member of Equal Pay Legal Limited or an employee of equivalent status. A list of the members of Equal Pay Legal Limited, and their professional qualifications, is available at the registered office.”